Recipe by Chef Rangel
These are also know as "Mexican Shortbread Cookies" or "Mexican Wedding Cookies". To make these a little more bite sized, just halve the amount of dough you make each cookie with. They will bake the same.
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, ½ cup of the confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and almond extracts in a large bowl and mix for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add the flour and salt. Use the mixer for the first cup of flour and then work in the remaining flour and finely chopped pecans by hand with a wooden spoon. Dough will be stiff.
- Form dough into balls (l level tablespoon each) and flatten to a coin shape. Place on ungreased baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Bake at 325° F on middle oven rack until light golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Let cookies stand for about 1 minute. Place the remaining sugar in a shallow dish. Roll the cookies in the sugar to coat completely. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.