1/1 Photo of Pan De Muertos ( Day of the Dead Bread)
3 hrs 40 mins
Rachel Lynn's Note:
this is a version of the bread that is made for November 2 celebration known as el Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) in Mexico. My Spanish teacher gave our class this recipe, and most of us molded the bread into shapes, like skulls, bones, angels, animals, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix all dry ingredients together except the 4 1/2 cups of flour.
- 2In small pan, heat the milk, the water, and the butter.
- 3Add liquid mixture to the dry mixture.
- 4Beat well.
- 5Mix in the eggs and 1 1/2 cups of flour. Beat well.
- 6Put in rest of flour, little by little.
- 7Knead the mixture for 10 minutes.
- 8Put dough in bowl and allow to rise until has doubled in size, or about an hour and a half.
- 9Punch dough down and reshape it with some "bone" shapes on top to decorate it.
- 10Let rise another hour.
- 11Heat 1/2 cup sugar and the 1/3 orange juice over stove until melted.
- 12Brush over dough.
- 13Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan De Muertos ( Day of the Dead Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.8
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 50.2 mg
- Sodium 175.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 5.8 g