Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
The Spanish name for “bread of corn”. A delicious, hearty bread that’s great for casual entertaining.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 (17 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Beat margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Blend in eggs.
- Stir in corn, chilies, Monterey jack and cheddar cheese.
- Add combined dry ingredients mixing just until moistened.
- Pour into greased and lightly floured 12x8-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
This was absolutely awesome cornbread. It was most on inside and best off all it had real corn. The cheese was a great add in. I did not use the chilies instead I chopped up some green peppers and onions. The kids fell in love with this bread. I will make this corn bread from now on.