Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
These truly are fluffy and thick pancakes. They have a "cake" like texture to them. These are not for those of you that prefer a thin, crepe like texture to your pancakes. My whole family loves them and I hope yours does too! Recipe makes approx. Four 6 inch pancakes. Perfect for two or you can make them smaller to get more. You may also double the ingredients for more. I've strayed once or twice from this recipe but I alway's go back. This is a Betty Crocker recipe (Although I wish I could take credit for it!) I've included a variation if you prefer to make them with buttermilk.
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or to taste)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (Yes, three. This is not a typo)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- In a small bowl, with a hand mixer, use the wire whisk attachment and whip the egg on medium speed, or until it gets bubbly and fluffy. (Careful not to overbeat) Do NOT skip this step and whisk it by hand.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix just until blended.
- In another small bowl, mix dry ingredients until well blended.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until there are no large lumps (batter with be thick and still have small lumps. do not overmix).
- Pour onto a hot griddle sprayed with cooking spray, over low-med heat and cook until they're bubbly on top and the edges are dry. Turn and cook until they reach desired doneness. (Remember the second side browns more slowly).
- NOTE: If you'd prefer to make buttermilk pancakes, Substitute 1 cup of buttermilk for the 3/4 cup of milk, decrease baking powder to 1 teaspoons and add 1/2 teaspoons baking soda.