Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this from an old newspaper clipping by Frances Price, posted here for safekeeping, though I haven't yet tried it. There are several versions of "Pan Bagnat" posted on Zaar; this is a slightly different (Corsican) version called "Pan Bagne." This requires at least several hours of chilling time (to allow the flavors to meld).
- 8 inches French rolls or 1⁄2 French baguette
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 0.5 (3 1/4 ounce) canwater pack tuna
- 1⁄2 cup chopped leaf lettuce
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 1 small tomatoes, cored, halved vertically, then sliced
- 6 slices cucumbers
- 1 slice red onion
- 4 salt-cured olives, pitted
- salt and pepper
- Cut bread in half lengthwise, scoop out insides, leaving 1-inch shell. Drizzle bread with olive oil. Spread lettuce evenly over bottom half.
- Arrange tuna over lettuce, top with alternating slices of egg and tomato.
- Separate the slice of onion into rings and arrange them on top.
- Sprinkle with olives, salt and pepper.
- Cover with top bread slice, wrap tightly and chill for several hours or overnight.