Recipe by lynnski / LA
This is a Mediterranean style sandwich from the Riviera which migrated to California. They makes a great vegetarian lunch and good party sandwiches because they taste better if made in advance. It allows time for the juices to be absorbed in the roll.
- 6 sandwich buns, crusty mediterranean type preferred
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup canned tuna
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- anchovy fillet, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove some of the inner part of the rolls to make room for the filling.
- Use bottled dressing or mix together wine vinegar, olive oil, and garlic.
- Spread on the dressing.
- Place the ingredients inside the rolls and then cover.
- Wrap the sandwiches and let them set long enough for the dressing and juices to be absorbed by the roll, about 20 minutes.