Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I love making this for a picnic tea. Pressing the sandwich allows the bread to become saturated with the flavours of the ingredients.
- 1 long baguette
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (extra-virgin is best)
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup pitted and sliced kalamata olives or 1⁄2 cup other ripe black olives
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces sliced cheese (no processed slices please! Cut it fresh)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup artichoke heart
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- herbs (eg fresh basil, oregano, thyme...)
- slice the bread in half lengthwise, nearly all the way through.
- Carefully open the loaf and spread the garlic on one of the cut sides.
- Drizzle the olive oil on both sides.
- Layer the tomato, cucumber, onion and olives and any of the optional ingredients on one half of the bread.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Close the loaf and wrap in tightly in plastic wrap or aluminium foil.
- Weight the full length of the Pan Bagnat with a heavy book[or several] for 1-3 hours.
- Slice and serve.
This was great! Pressing the sandwich is absolutely the key. The only optional ingredient I used was cheese, but next time I will try more. This made a great light dinner, and is definitly a keeper.
really great sandwich and perfect for a picnic.<br/>But this is not a Pan Bagnat (lettuce, tomatoe, tuna, anchovie,boiled egg,black olives,onion and fresh basil)
2 hours does not make a sandwich.