Recipe by BecR
This is a delightful specialty sandwich originating in Nice, in the South of France. The Pan bagnat is a popular lunch time sandwich and also a great make ahead dish to pack in the picnic hamper along with fresh fruits, some cheese and a bottle of wine or sparkling lemonade. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 large fresh baked roll (preferably a Ciabatta roll)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 2 ounces best quality canned tuna, well drained
- 3 -4 thin slices of fresh red bell peppers
- 1⁄2 of a medium firm fresh tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 hardboiled egg, sliced
- 3 -4 anchovy fillets (or more, to taste)
- 1 small handful of fresh lettuce leaf (such as butter lettuce, endive or your favorite)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice open the roll and drizzle both halves with the oil and vinegar.
- Spread the tuna evenly on the bottom half of roll. Add strips of red bell pepper and tomato slices, pressing down to compact. Add egg slices and anchovies, pressing to adhere.
- Top with lettuce and the remaining bun half, press together and enjoy!
- Tip: If not eating right away, wrap sandwich in wax paper or parchment and tie with kitchen string and chill until ready to eat (up to 24 hours).