Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe from the book, Vegan Planet. My husband and I loved it. I also like that all of the ingredients are available at any store.
- 1 crusty Italian roll, cut in half
- 3⁄4 cup cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup vegan pesto or 1⁄4 cup vegan pesto or 1⁄4 cup basil-pesto dressing
- 6 artichoke hearts, marinated,drained and chopped
- 2 -3 roasted red peppers, sliced in strips
- 1⁄3 cup chopped or sliced black olives or 1⁄3 cup green olives
- 1 large tomatoes or 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta (omit if you are vegan)
Basalmic Vinegrette use 1/4 cup
- 1 reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes or 1 sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1⁄2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped red onions
- 1 dash sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- black pepper
- Blend all vinegrette items in blender, blend,.
- adjust seasonings as needed.
- Pull some of the bread out to make a"shell" to hold the fillings.
- Blend the beans and the basil pesto until smooth, spread on both halves of bread.
- Layer artichokes, red peppers, tomatoes, olives and feta if using.
- Drizzle with vinegrette.
- Sprinkle with italian seasonings, parsley and oregano if desired.
- Wrap, place on a plate and weight down to press for a few hours in the fridge.
- BTW, you don't have to press the sandwich.
I got this recipe a year ago (must have been from the same cookbook) and finally got around to making it last week. It was SO GOOD. Anything vegetarian usually means just replacing the meat with some zucchini, bell pepper and carrots, which I can't stand (the idea, not the vegetables). This is absolutely delicious and flavorful. I love sandwiches, and after I stopped eating meat I've been going crazy trying to find a satisfying vegetarian option. This is it!