Recipe by foxfyre
This is an incredibly simple but delicious recipe from my mother. It's easy to scale it up for company or down for just yourself - but these are great left over, so don't scale it down too much! I've made a couple of corrections after getting CraftScout's feedback. :)
Top Review by CraftScout
These were yummy! I have to say, though, that you really need to make these on the smaller side. I tried 3 inch ones, and they fell apart, but the 1 and a half to 2 inch ones held up fine in the pan. Also, I would suggest using a non-stick pan if you have one big enough. With the nonstick pan I was able to gently shake the meatballs to turn them. We all like the flavor of the meatballs a lot, but the sauce (while nice and thick) could have used some seasoning for our tastes. Overall good recipe! Thanks.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ground beef, diced onion, eggs, and rice; form into balls roughly 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter.
- Over medium heat, brown meatballs in large skillet or saucepan (large enough to hold meat and tomato juice).
- Add tomato juice and season with salt and pepper (or other seasonings if you like); reduce heat and cover pan.
- Simmer until juice has cooked down to a thick sauce (between 35 - 60 minutes), turning meatballs occasionally.