Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I just made this recipe up to use up what I had on hand and to make a yummy meal for my dog. He licked his bowl completely clean and was begging for more. Keep in mind that organ meats are good for dogs. I just had chicken livers but you can use beef liver too. It looks really gross but dogs don't eat with their eyes, they eat with their noses and hungry tummies. LOL!
- 1 -2 lb chicken liver
- 1⁄2 lb russet potato, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb sweet potato, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (optional)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, cooked (peas, carrots, green beans, etc.)
- Rinse your chicken livers and place in a loaf pan.
- Shred your two types of potatoes into a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Chop the cooked mixed veggies into fine pieces.
- Add the potatoes, garlic (if using) and mixed veggies to the loaf pan with your chicken livers. Mix well.
- Cover your pan with foil and bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into a chicken liver registers 170º.
- Half way through cooking I pull the dish out and give it a good mix to make sure the chicken livers are completely cooked. Recover with foil and place dish back into the oven. With 5 minutes left I mix the dish again and place it back into the oven without the foil to finish cooking.
- When dish is cooked I put it in the food processor to make it into a pate. I pulse it until the cooked mixture is completely mixed and almost smooth.
- Using a medium size scoop I make balls and put them on a plate to cool for a few minutes. I then put the plate into the freezer to flash freeze the meatballs. Once they are frozen I throw them into a freezer safe container or plastic storage bag. I then pull out in the morning what I need to feed my dog that day. Since the balls are individually frozen you can pull out only what you need.
- If I have any cooked brown rice on hand I will serve the pate with it. If you have any doggie biscuits (homemade or store bought) you can dip those into the pate and feed them to your dog as a special treat.