Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I am trying to "re-do" some of our older recipes to be lower in fat, as hubby has heart disease. This ended up being a combination of two. I am going to try this with peaches also as this is one of the few ways I can get fruit into him! AND, he liked this. Guessing on prep time.
- 3 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon apple juice, and
- 1 teaspoon apple juice
- 1 tablespoon white sugar, and
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup quick oatmeal, and
- 2 tablespoons quick oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, and
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine, stick kind
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 10 inch glass pie pan with Pam.
- Pour apples into pie pan and add all apple juice, stir.
- Sprinkle all white sugar over the top of the apples and then stir well.
- I put the skim milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, egg white and cinnamon in my mini chopper to blend well (I do this after the topping so that I don't have to wash it out twice).
- Pour over apples and mix well.
- (I chop my oatmeal in my mini chopper to make it finer in texture, then I measure it out to 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon).
- In a small bowl, melt margarine in microwave.
- Stir in all brown sugar and oatmeal(mix very well).
- Crumble over the top of the apples, covering as well as possible.
- Bake 350 for 45 to 50 minutes --
- IF you ARE NOT using 10 inch glass pie pan you will have to judge your timing.
You can use Splenda instead of sugar, Brown Sugar Twin instead of brown sugar, and I can't believe it's not butter in place of the margarine to make this even healthier for your hubby.