Recipe by Oolala
Pals Cabin is an old restaurant in West Orange, NJ that is famous for this soup. http://www.palscabin.com/index.htm I found the recipe in a cookbook called "Cooking for Love." I guessed the time since I haven't made this yet. Didn't want to lose it.
Top Review by jerseygirl1952
Oh So Good. I'm a N.J. transplant to N.C.. There's many things I miss about N.J., one of them being Pal's Cabin and their mushroom soup. I can't tell you how happy you made me when I found this receipe. It's easy to make, it's delicious, and it brings back so many good memories of going to Turtleback Zoo and then heading to Pal's Cabin. Thanks again.
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped, sauteed
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- maggi seasoning, to taste
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 pint light cream
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot, heat the chicken stock until it is well simmered. Add the sauteed mushrooms and chopped shallots.
- In a smaller saucepan, make a roux by melting the butter and adding the four, stirring until well blended. Cook the roux until it has the aroma of toasted almonds.
- Pour the roux into the chicken stock to obtain a veloute of light consistency.
- Season to taste with Maggi, salt and white pepper. Add the light cream to the chicken stock and stir well.
- Serve in a cup topped with a teaspoons of whipped cream and sprinkle with a touch of paprika.