Recipe by onemotherslove
I found this recipe online and wanted to make a smaller batch, so I'm using the recipe converter. Makes 10 cups of mix, 1 cup of mix combines with other ingredients to make a batch of soup.
Top Review by Outta Here
6/3/12-Very easy to put together. I couldn't fine alphabet pasta so subbed little star-shaped pasta instead. Will report back after making some of the soup. Made for My 3 Chefs game. UPDATE 6/5/12-One cup of mix makes plenty of soup for two. It is a bit thick though, and I added another cup of water to thin it out a bit. It also took about 90 minutes for the peas and barley to cook. But overall, a great mix.
- 2 1⁄2 cups split peas
- 2 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 2 1⁄2 cups pearl barley
- 2 cups alphabet pasta or 2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dried celery flakes
- 1⁄2 cup parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together. Store in a jar with a tight- fitting lid. Stir before using. Makes 10 cups of mix.
- Attach to Jar: Combine 1 cup of soup mix with 4 cups of water or seasoned stock in large pan. Add 1 cup of cooked chopped meat, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer gently for 45 to 60 minutes, or until peas are tender. Add 1/2 t. salt if desired.
- Minestrone Variation: Combine 1 cup of soup mix with a 16-oz. can of stewed tomatoes, 2 to 3 cups water or stock, 1 chopped carrot, 1 to 2 chopped potatoes, and 1/2 t. basil. (Optional: 1 clove minced garlic). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer 45 to 60 minutes or until peas are tender. Add 1/2 t. salt, if desired.