Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Italian mom gave me this recipe years ago. It is a great mix of a white sauce and a red sauce with a nice little kick. We usually request it for our "Sunday dinners". Definitely a nice change. We all love it and usually make breaded chicken, good garlic bread and a tossed salad to finish off the meal. Yum!! :)
- In nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour, cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in milk, cream and salt. Heat to boiling over med-high heat.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce (adding a little more for a thicker sauce) and cook over med high heat for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pour over cooked pasta, adding parmesan and basil.
This was good . I liked it more than my girls , who liked sauce better before marinara was added. That said they still ate it. Hubby didn't like at all but hes picky.
I liked this very much, texture and taste were good and it was easy to make. I found the recipe while looking for a use for the banana peppers in my garden- I do think this ingredient adds an element of sweetness that otherwise may be lacking. I served the sauce over spaghetti for all, but added grilled eggplant to mine and Italian sausage to my husband's. (He doesn't consider it a meal without meat.) Thanks!
This was good and easy to make. I didn't add the banana pepper as I didn't have any but followed the rest of the recipe as written. We enjoyed this but my family prefers meat in their sauce. Next time will try it with some cooked ground beef. Made for Fall PAC 2008.