Recipe by coconutcream
A delicious dessert from the adults-only restaurant Palo on Disney Cruise Line ships. See also Palo Vanilla Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for greasing souffle cups
- 6 tablespoons sugar, plus more for dusting souffle cups
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate (2 oz.) or 2⁄3 cup bittersweet chocolate, melted (2 oz.)
- 4 eggs, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Set a full kettle of water on to boil.
- Butter six 4-ounce soufflé cups and coat with sugar; set aside.
- Bring milk to boil in small saucepan. Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cocoa to butter and heat with a whisk until it has a smooth, paste-like consistency. Reduce heat and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add hot milk, whisking until smooth, then blend in melted chocolate. Let cool for 5 minutes, then stir in egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites in separate bowl until frothy. Slowly add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until glossy peaks form. Stir a heaping spoonful of egg whites into the chocolate, then fold in remaining whites until just combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared soufflé cups. Place cups in large baking dish and add enough boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the soufflé cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately with warm Vanilla Sauce.