Recipe by Everything Tasty Kitchen
Palmiers.....ooooh yah! These crispy, flaky, heart shaped French cookies are buttery, sweet and very delicious. Pahlm-Yay's look really fancy, like something you would see in a bakery, but they are so simple to make at home. Perfect for valentines day, I added colored sugars to make it more fun. Be sure to use parchment paper or you will be buying your self a new sheet pan!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted
- colored sugar sprinkle, to sprinkle on top if you desire
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine the sugar and salt together.
- Pour 1 cup of the sugar on a flat surface.
- Use one sheet of the puff pastry and pour 1 cup of the sugar over the top and spread out evenly with your hands.
- Use a rolling pin to press the sugar into the dough, until it's 13 by 15 rectangle.
- Turn the dough over and press the sugar on the other side as well, you want the dough to be completely covered with the sugar on both sides. There will be extra sugar left on the board.
- Fold the sides of the square towards the center so they go halfway to the middle Fold them again so the two folds meet exactly at the middle of the dough, then fold 1 half over the other half as though closing a book, you will have 6 layers.
- Slice the dough into 3/8-inch slices and dip both cut sides in the sugar to ensure a good coating.
- Place the slices, cut side up, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- If you choose, sprinkle generously the colored sugar on each piece.
- Continue with the second sheet of pastry as above.
- Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes until brown on the bottom.
- Transfer immediately to a baking rack to cool completely, before they stick.
- Store in an airtight container. You can freeze them at this point as well.