Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are SOOOOOOOOOOO quick and easy to make and are really lovely to have with coffee or as a very LIGHT dessert! The beauty of these are that they can be made well in advance and stored in an airtight container!
- Roll the pastry out on a suface sprinkled with castor sigar.
- (roll pastry out to a rectangle shape- about 20cm x 35cm), and trim the edges with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle castor sugar over the top of the pastry.
- Fold in the LONG sides of the rectangle- (so that they meet in the centre), and sprinkle with a little MORE sugar.
- Now fold in 1/2 lengthways and press SLIGHTLY.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut the pastry roll into 12mm slices (about 1cm slices), and place about 10cms apart on lightly greased oven trays.
- Bake in MODERATELY HOT oven (210-230'C) for 10 minutes, then turn Palmiers over and bake for a further 10 minutes- or until crisp!
- Remove from oven and place Palmiers on wire rack to cool.
- Sprinkle with sifted icing sugar.
These were just too simple. They were very good, however I did not have any caster sugar so I just used regular white sugar and it worked quite well except that I would sprinkle much more freely next time as I like my sweets.
I have made these a few time now. I used vanilla sugar on mine and spread some vegan chocolate icing on top. When I made the icing instead of using butter I used vegan margarine. Delicious treat, thanks for the recipe!!
Oh I remember getting these as a kid! They are one of my FAVORITES! Took a little longer to crisp up, but I hung in there. They came out perfect! Thank you for the trip down memory lane!