1/1 Photo of Palm Springs Key Lime Pie
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
My first experience to taste KEY LIME PIE was in Key West, Florida. Fell in love with the flavor but did not appreciate the moist crust and the chewy filling. After much experimentation, I formulated this pie in Palm Springs, CA, and that is how I gave it the name PALM SPRINGS KEY LIME PIE. The pie has been reviewed my many newspapers and has been noted as, "A Pie to Die For".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 177.44 ml crushed vanilla wafers or 177.44 ml vanilla cookie crumbs
- 177.44 ml crushed graham wafers or 177.44 ml graham wafer crumbs
- 118.29 ml finely chopped pecans
- 59.14 ml margarine or 59.14 ml butter
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 118.29 ml freshly squeezed lime juice
- 9.85 ml lime zest
- 11 fluid ounce sweetened condensed milk (Borden Eagle Brand suggested)
- 0.26 ml green food coloring
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 1PIE CRUST-----------.
- 2In a mixing bowl, combine vanilla wafer crumbs, graham wafer crumbs and finely chopped pecans.
- 3Pecans can be processed in a food processor.
- 4Reserve 1/2 cup of vanilla/graham wafer mixture to be used on top of pie.
- 5Add margarine or butter to mixture and blend with a pastry blender or fork.
- 6Prepare a 9 inch oven proof pie dish by spraying with a vegetable spray, then dusting lightly with flour.
- 7Shake off any excess flour off pie dish and discard (This prevents the shell from sticking to the dish when baked).
- 8Spoon wafer mixture into pie dish; press evenly to bottom and sides using a rounded soup spoon.
- 9Place pie dish in freezer compartment for at least 30 minutes to cool and firm up.
- 11Place eggs in a bowl of warm water for about 15 minutes before cracking and separating.
- 12Separate eggs, and make sure that the egg whites DO NOT have any yolk.
- 13If any egg yolk accidentally gets into the egg whites, take a piece of bread and dip it over the yolk and this should remove it.
- 14In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth.
- 15Add lime juice, grated lime zest, condensed milk, green food coloring and whisk until well blended.
- 16In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until frothy; add cream of tartar and beat until egg whites form soft peaks.
- 17Add sugar gradually, beating continuously until stiff peaks form.
- 18Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the milk mixture using a spatula until incorporated.
- 19Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- 20Pour filling mixture into cooled pie shell and level.
- 21Sprinkle top with reserved wafer/pecan mixture.
- 22Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- 23Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- 24Refrigerate pie for at least 1 hour before serving.
- 26In a medium size chilled mixing bowl or a 2 cup measure, whip 1/2 cup whipping cream until the cream just starts to thicken.
- 27Add vanilla extract and beat for a few seconds.
- 28Add sugar gradually, beating continously until thickened.
- 29DO NOT OVERBEAT, OTHERWISE YOU WILL FORM BUTTER.
- 30Just before serving, decorate pie with whipped cream to your liking.
- 31For a nice presentation, slice about 4 thin slices of lime, cut one edge of the slice, twist slightly and push into pie in 4 areas.
- 32Place a dollop of whipped cream in front and back of the projecting slice of lime.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Palm Springs Key Lime Pie
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.9
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 143.1 mg
- Sodium 218.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 49.2 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: