1 hr 15 mins
From Maida Heatter's Brand-New Book of Great Cookies, October 1995. When you look at all the steps to make these brownies, it might seem overwhelming, but Maida is very specific and these directions will actually go pretty fast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups walnuts
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (Maida Heatter uses Medaglia D'Oro from an Italian grocery store.)
- 3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 2/3 cups sifted unbleached flour
- 2 (14 ounce) bags york chocolate peppermint patties, unwrapped
- 1Adjust an oven rack one-third up from the bottom and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Line a 9 by 11 by 2-inch pan as follows: Invert the pan and center a 17-inch length of aluminum foil, shiny side down, over the.
- 4With your hands, press down on the sides and corners of the foil to shape it to the pan.
- 5Remove the foil.
- 6Turn the pan right side up and place the foil in the pan and very carefully press it into place in the pan.
- 7Now, to butter the foil, place a piece of butter (additional to that in ingredients) in the pan, and put the pan in the oven. When the butter is melted use a pastry brush or a piece of crumpled plastic wrap to spread the butter all over the foil.
- 8Set the prepared pan aside.
- 9Place the chocolate and the butter in the top of a large double boiler over hot water on moderate heat, or in a 4- to 6-cup heavy saucepan over low heat.
- 10Stir occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are melted.
- 11Stir to mix.
- 12Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 13Break the walnuts into large pieces; set aside.
- 14In the large bowl of an electric mixer beat the eggs with the vanilla and almond extracts, salt, espresso, and sugar at high speed for 10 minutes.
- 15On low speed add the chocolate mixture (which may still be warm) and beat only until mixed.
- 16Then add the flour and again beat on low speed only until mixed.
- 17Remove the bowl from the mixer.
- 18Stir in the nuts.
- 19Pour half the mixture (about 3 1/2 cups) into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- 20Place a layer of the mints, touching each other and the edges of the pan, all over the chocolate layer.
- 21Cut some mints to fill in large spaces on the edges. (You will not use all the mints.).
- 22Pour the remaining chocolate mixture all over the pan and smooth the top.
- 23Bake for 35 minutes reversing the pan front to back once during baking to ensure even baking.
- 24At the end of 35 minutes the cake will have a firm crust on top, but if you insert a toothpick in the middle it will come out.
- 25wet and covered with chocolate. Nevertheless, it is done. Do not bake any longer.
- 26Remove the pan from the oven; let stand until cool.
- 27Cover the pan with a cookie sheet and invert the pan and the sheet.
- 28Remove the pan and the foil lining.
- 29Cover the cake with a length of wax paper and another cookie sheet and invert again, leaving the cake right side up.
- 30Now the cake must be refrigerated for a few hours or overnight before it is cut into bars.
- 31When you are ready to cut the cake, use a long, heavy knife with a sharp blade, either serrated or straight – try both.
- 32Pack in an airtight box, or wrap individually in clear cellophane, wax.
- 33paper, or foil.
- 34These freeze perfectly and can be served very cold or at room temperature.
- 35Maida's notes: When you remove the cake from the pan you might see burned edges.
- 36(You might not – it depends on the pan.) If you do, you can leave them on or cut them off. She cuts them off, but has friends who say this is the best part.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Palm Beach Brownies With Chocolate-Covered Mints
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.5
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 48.3 mg
- Sodium 31.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 23.8 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: