1/3 Photos of Palestinian Lentils and Rice With Crispy Onions
3 hrs 45 mins
This is so delicious and so simple. It's a little exotic, very flavorful, and will make your kitchen smell wonderful as it cooks - and my preference is to add extra cumin! I've never made it without first soaking the rice and lentils, but the dish could surely be adapted to no-soaking if you're looking to cut some of the prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak lentils in water for 3 hours; drain.
- 2Soak rice in water for 1/2 hour; drain.
- 3Saute onions in a large skillet for about 15 minutes, or until very brown and crisp.
- 4Remove onions to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- 5Turn heat to medium-high and add lentils and rice to skillet; saute quickly in the browned-onion-flavored oil, adding cumin, salt and pepper.
- 6Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- 7Cover very tightly and then cook on very low heat for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 8To serve, fluff up rice and lentils and top with the crispy browned onions.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Palestinian Lentils and Rice With Crispy Onions
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.2
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1172.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 16.2 g