sweets from Palestinian kitchen
Make and share this Palestinian Harissa recipe from Food.com.
- 1. For the preparation of syrup : in a pot on the fire boil water and sugar together and let it boil for 10 minutes and then add the lemon juice and let boil two minutes and put it a side to cool .
- 2. For the preparation of harissa , in a bowl mix the butter,semolina and sugar , together until homogeneous .
- 3. In another bowl , mix yogurt and baking powder together and leave 10 minutes until yoghurt is double sized.
- 4. Add the yogurt mixture and baking powder to the mixture of semolina and mix by hand again until homogeneous components.
- 5.brush the bottom and sides of a baking tray with tahini ,spread out the dough over a thickness of not more than a centimeter and a half and level the surface and then divide into squares.
- 6.put almonds in the center of squares ,place inside the oven pre- heated to 250 ° C for 30 to 45 minutes until golden brown.
- 7.Remove from oven and pour the syrup cut into serving dish
Probably a good recipe with some adjustment. Tried it exactly as stated and got a soggy mess. It looked pretty good *before* I added all that sugar-water. I think it's supposed to evaporate a lot more in Palestine than it did here in chilly, humid Yorkshire.<br/>In trying another harissa recipe, I had a similar problem and was able to rescue the soggy mess by packing it back into the roasting dish and putting it back in the over. It didn't come out quite as smooth and even as it had looked when it first came out, but it did make very nice little sweet treats. Anyone trying this and finding a soggy mess, just cook it again. Handy trick learned from a Palestinian lady: stick a cocktail stick, toothpick or knife into the centre of the cake, to the bottom, and draw it out. If it comes out sticky, your cake isn't done yet. If it comes out clean, the cake's done.