- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup dates or 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, combine sugar, water, shortening, dates or raisins, nutmeg, cinnamon and ground cloves.
- Boil together for 3 minutes. Let cool.
- Dissolve the baking soda and salt in a cup in 2 teaspoons water. Add the salt/soda to the fruit mixture.
- Combine and gradually add flour and baking powder.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch square pan and bake at 325° for 50 minutes.