Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 45 mins
This recipe is based off of the Bison Chili recipe found in The Primal Blueprint Cookbook by Mark Sisson (www.MarksDailyApple.com). I have made it several times and have only varied the recipe a little. This recipe does not have beans in it as many other chili recipes do and I prefer it w/o the beans. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 -3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground grass-fed beef (original recipe says ground bison)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups water (I use beef broth) or 1 1⁄2-2 cups beef broth (I use beef broth)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, with liquid finely chopped (seeded and diced (28 ounce can may be used also) or 3 -4 medium sized tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 -2 peeled carrot, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- In a large saucepan (at least 4 quart size) or Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook bacon for a few minutes until slightly brown and some fat has been rendered out.
- Add chopped onion to the pan and stir into bacon. When the onions are semi-translucent, add garlic and stir. Cook a few minutes longer.
- Add ground beef/bison to pan and cook over medium -low heat until brown (cooked) throughout and no pink remains. Drain if necessary without losing onions and garlic (if lean ground beef or bison is used, should not need to drain).
- Add spices, water/broth, tomatoes and carrots and stir well to combine.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes to prevent sticking.
- Add vinegar and cocoa powder and stir well then simmer uncovered for another 20 minutes. Taste and season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
- *After everything has "cooked," I like to let this chili cook for several hours on a low temperature. I tastes wonderful and makes your whole house smell yummy!