3 hrs 55 mins
3 hrs 45 mins
This recipe is based off of the Bison Chili recipe found in The Primal Blueprint Cookbook by Mark Sisson (www.MarksDailyApple.com). I have made it several times and have only varied the recipe a little. This recipe does not have beans in it as many other chili recipes do and I prefer it w/o the beans. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground grass-fed beef (original recipe says ground bison)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2-2 cups water (I use beef broth) or 1 1/2-2 cups beef broth (I use beef broth)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, with liquid finely chopped (seeded and diced (28 ounce can may be used also) or 3 -4 medium sized tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 -2 peeled carrot, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1In a large saucepan (at least 4 quart size) or Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook bacon for a few minutes until slightly brown and some fat has been rendered out.
- 2Add chopped onion to the pan and stir into bacon. When the onions are semi-translucent, add garlic and stir. Cook a few minutes longer.
- 3Add ground beef/bison to pan and cook over medium -low heat until brown (cooked) throughout and no pink remains. Drain if necessary without losing onions and garlic (if lean ground beef or bison is used, should not need to drain).
- 4Add spices, water/broth, tomatoes and carrots and stir well to combine.
- 5Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes to prevent sticking.
- 6Add vinegar and cocoa powder and stir well then simmer uncovered for another 20 minutes. Taste and season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
- 7*After everything has "cooked," I like to let this chili cook for several hours on a low temperature. I tastes wonderful and makes your whole house smell yummy!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paleo/Primal Chili
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1606.0
- Calories from Fat 1474
- Total Fat 163.8 g
- Saturated Fat 67.7 g
- Cholesterol 227.4 mg
- Sodium 178.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 21.5 g