Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taken almost verbatim from Balanced Bites - Diane Sanfilippo's fabulous blog.
- 1 lb chicken thigh, boneless skinless
- 1 cup almond meal, any nut meal is fine
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup lard, duck fat any fat of choice
- 1⁄4 lb pepperoni, sliced super thin paleo friendly
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup spaghetti sauce, paleo friendly
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
- Pound chicken until it is of an even thickness of about 1/4 inch.
- Place a large heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat, melt the fat.
- Combine the almond meal and spices in a shallow pan. Place the beaten egg in another shallow pan - pie plates work very well for this step.
- While the fat is melting bread the chicken by first dipping in the egg, allowing all excess to drip away, and then dredging in the dry mixture.
- Place the chicken into the hot fat and cook for about 2 minutes per side or until well browned. Place the browned chicken onto the baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Place a thin layer of pepperoni onto each piece of chicken. Then add a small amount of tomato sauce. Sprinkle some goat cheese over all. Bake an additional 15 minutes. If you want it a bit browner, put it under the broiler for a bit.