Recipe by Maycat
A great way to get your veggies at breakfast. A very fulfilling, tasty and healthy breakfast that fits in with the Paleo lifetstyle.You can substitute the squash with whatever vegetables you have handy or in the freezer. If you are trying for low-fat you can also use less butter and olive oil. The tomatoes add a sweet pop to the hash, I used mini heirloom tomatoes. I recommend grass-fed butter like Kerrygold brand.This was served with some turkey bacon. Nom, nom nom...
Top Review by thejonesgal
Loved this recipe.
We actually made it as a side dish for supper and then ate the leftovers with eggs in the morning. I didn't put in the cherry tomatoes because I don't like cooked cherry tomatoes - but other than that, I followed the recipe.
This is a keeper!!!!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet white onion, chopped
- 1 cup yellow squash, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 eggs, poached or cooked any style
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter to pan. Add garlic and onion and saute for 2 minutes, then add chopped squash or your favorite vegetable, cook for 2 more minutes, then add mushrooms. Cook for 5-minutes or until almost compete.
- At this point add salt and pepper, then add tomatoes and spinach and cook until spinach wilts. Drain well before plating.
- While finishing this prepare eggs to your liking (I like over medium as this is easiest) in another pan.
- To serve, drained hash mixture to and then add to individual plates. On top of hash add 2 cooked eggs per person.
- This is nice served with a side of bacon, and some avocado.