Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This can be used as a sauce for meats, or even vegetables, it works wonderfully on its own as a side dish. Try dipping corn dodgers (recipe also posted) into this!
- 3 lbs fresh spinach
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 1 large onion
- 8 cloves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt
- Rinse the spinach thoroughly; stem and tear into 3-inch pieces.
- Set aside.
- In a non-aluminum saucepan, heat the peanut oil over medium heat.
- Cut the onion in half, then quarter.
- Separate layers, and add to oil.
- Crush cloves and sprinkle over onion, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften.
- Add ginger and stir.
- Add tomato sauce, 1 cup water, and cardamom.
- Cook at a bubbly simmer for 4 minutes to merge flavors.
- Add cayene, stir, then add spinach, a handful at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes, or until spinach is tender.
- Add salt to taste and serve warm.