From Palate Pleasers II Cookbook. Posted by John Kovac.
Make and share this Palate Pleaser's Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 5 cups chicken broth (I like to use stock)
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups dried lentils
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, scraped and chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Combine broth, water, lentils and tomato in a large Dutch Oven; stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Saute onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in oil in a large skillet until the vegetables are tender. Add the sauteed vegetables to the lentil mixture. Stir well.
- Add tomato paste and remaining ingredients, stirring well. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Ladle soup into individual soup bowls.
Yummy soup on a chilly night! Used chipotle powder instead of red pepper. Halved the recipe and used red lentils. Delish! Thanks breezermom!
Very nice soup! This has a nice, thick texture and plenty of flavor from the seasonings. The combination of vegetables was very nice. Thanks for sharing!
This didn't work out so great for me. I halved the recipe and had to keep adding liquid, and in the end it was really a thick stew. Also, there wasn't enough seasoning/flavor for me. Thanks for taking the time to post the recipe, this just wasn't what I was looking for. .