Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Mahanandi blog
For Palak (Spinach) Puree
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, cut to big pieces, about 6 cups
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed, powdered (or 1/2 cup cashews)
- 2 tablespoons kasuri methi
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 15 pieces tofu, about 1 inch sized cubes
- Heat oil in a wide skillet to a smoking point. Add onion, green chillies and tomatoes. Cook them to soft brown mush. Remove the contents to a plate.
- Add the spinach to the skillet, and saute until the leaves collapse. Remove to a plate and wait for at least 5 to 10 minutes for them to cool down.
- Take the cooled onion, chillies, tomatoes and spinach in a blender. Add a pinch of salt. Blend to thick puree. Set it aside.
- Clean or wipe the same skillet and then add and heat oil. Add and toast the cumin. Add the spinach-tomato puree. Sprinkle the powdered poppy seeds, kasuri methi, garam masala, salt and turmeric. Along with about a cup of water. Stir well. Add the tofu cubes. Simmer on low heat for about ten minutes. Serve warm.