Creamy and rich, a delight to eat. A dish I fell in love with at a local restaurant and adapted a recipe to closely resemble theirs.
- 2 (5 ounce) bags Baby Spinach
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces paneer cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Cut spinach into shreds and cook in 3 tablespoons water until tender; remove from heat.
- Saute onion, cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger in 1-2 tablespoons ghee or oil until onion is translucent.
- Then add garlic and chopped tomatoes, and reduce heat.
- Cook this briefly and slowly blend in yogurt a little at a time to prevent curdling.
- Add coriander, garam masala, paprika, and salt, mixing well.
- Add cooked spinach with liquid, cover and simmer on low heat for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Take half of spinach mixture and puree in food processor or blender, and return to mixture and stir.
- Slowly stir in heavy cream, and heat through on low heat.
- Add paneer cubes.
Not exactly what I was looking for, but still pretty tasty. I used whole coriander, and didn't care for the seeds/texture (my fault). Going to try this one again but adjust the spices a little. If you can't find the paneer, an excellent substitute is Mexican Queso Blanco (aka queso fresco) - the texture & taste is very similar.
I made half a recipe for the two of us and it was great. Loved all the flavors and how they meld together. I made homemade paneer Homemade Paneer (Panir - Indian Cheese) to use in the recipe. Served with Best Ever Chicken Balti, Naan plus puppodums as an appetizer.
Fantastic recipe. I like this much better than our local Indian restaurant's palak paneer. I think I added a little more cream because I had to warm it longer at the end (I could only find frozen paneer.) I used normal spinach leaves, and it made it stringy so next time I'll be sure to find the baby spinach. I feel about twenty pounds overweight from dinner, but fiance and I really loved this. Thanks!!