Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Traditional Pakistani delicious palak daal.I got this recipe froma friend and made it and it turned out great!
- 1 cup channa dal, washed (a yellow lentil)
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped or 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon green chili pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Cook the dal in the 5 cups of water with turmeric and salt for 30 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until the spinach is tender and mixed with the lentils - about 35-50 minutes.
- * In a separate pan heat the oil, add the cumin seeds and as they pop add the onions. Brown the onions.
- * Add the garlic, tomatoes, green chili, coriander, garam masala, red chili powder, stir 2 minutes.
- * Add the daal and spinach and lemon juice, stir and heat through.
- * Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with pita or chapati or basmati rice.
Very easy, very tasty dal recipe! Served with basmati rice and Trader Joe's garlic naan.
Nice and healthy. I used fresh spinach and a little bit of tamarind paste.
This recipe is awesome and really easy. I love it! I have doubled it and put half in the freezer for a quick meal.