Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
I made this for a sunday lunch and it was great, easy to prepare and filling.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves crushed garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 dried hot red chiles, crushed or 4 jalapeno chiles, sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced,then cut crosswise to julienne
- 15 -20 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced in half
- pita breads, lightly heated or lightly toasted white bread
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it begins to smoke.
- Add the garlic, cardamom, cumin, and chiles.
- Stir vigorously for half a minute, then add the onions, tomatoes, eggplant, and the shiitake.
- Stir over high heat, adding more oil if necessary.
- Saute until the vegetables are well cooked, limp, and fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Salt to taste.
- Stuff the pitas with the mixture and serve.
- Remember, no forks except to fill the pita pockets.