This is one of the quickest & yet tastiest meal one can make in emergency situations. Although a lot of people usually have the same recipe for Matar (Greenpeas) Pulao & this Pulao. This recipe is way different than the usual Pulao recipe. This one is a bit spicy & more "masalay daar" as I call it. If you are not used to have it that spicy u can always lessen the quantity of chillie powder. A good tip while making any kind of Pulao is that after you add rice in the water mixture. Cook on a high heat till the water dries up completely & then cover & simmer it on low heat, otherwise you'll end up with a mushy halwa rather than your regular Pulao rice. Ginger garlic paste is also optional in this recipe. Yeah yeah I know its the core ingredient in Pakistani dishes but you can skip it if you want.
- 3 cups basmati rice (soaked in water for at least 1/2 an hour)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (Safaid Chanay) or 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (Safaid Chanay)
- 1 cup oil
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (Lehsan Adrak)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 3 black cardamom pods (bari elaichi)
- 1 teaspoon clove (laung)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (Dalchini)
- 1 1⁄2 cups yogurt
- 3 teaspoons anise seed (saunf)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- Heat oil in a pan & fry onions till they turn golden brown.
- Add cardamom pods (bari elaichi), cloves (laung), cinammon sticks (dalchini), cumin seeds (zeera) in the onions & stir for about 10 seconds. Then add ginger/garlic paste (lehsan adrak), 2 teaspoons salt and red chili powder & stir fry on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Next add yogurt & chickpeas/garbanzos & cook on medium high till the yogurt water dries up.
- Now add garam masala powder & anise seed (saunf) powder & cover & cook for 2 minutes on medium low heat. (Its THESE two ingredients which make this pulao very different then the usual pulaos you might have eaten so far.
- Finally add the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, rice & the water & cook it uncovered on high heat for 7 minutes or till the water dries up.
- Cover the pan & close the lid tightly making sure no steam passes out & cook on low heat for 15 minutes or till the rice is done.
- Serve it your favorite chutney or raita.
- Although my family likes raita with this pulao I love it with this http://www.recipezaar.com/276267 Chutney.