Recipe by Bint e Naeem
This is the most basic way of making potatoes in Karachi, Pakistan. Its best served with "Hara Raita" & Roti/Chapati. Some people also serve it with Daal Chawal as a side dish. Me & my siblings are all grown ups now but this is one dish we request our mother to make when we visit her. Lets just say this is OUR comfort food along some other Pakistani dishes. Note: If you are not big on spicy/hot food then you can adjust the amount of red chili powder.
- 2 lbs potatoes (peeled & sliced round)
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 large tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons mint leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 green chili pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a wok, heat oil. Then add red chilies, stir them for 10 seconds & add cumin seeds. Stir fry them for 10 seconds & add potatoes. (Make sure that you have cumin seeds & potatoes ready before heating the oil & don’t let the cumin seeds stir fry more than 10 seconds or else they’ll burn & loose the aroma.)
- Mix the potatoes well (at this point the potatoes might start to stick to the pan so be extra careful) Add tomatoes, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Mix again. Cover & let them cook on medium low heat till the tomatoes get tenderized & the potatoes get almost 75% done.
- Now add mint leaves & green chilies. Mix, cover & cook on low heat for another 15 minutes or till the oil separates & your Aloo Ka Salan gets done.
- Enjoy with Hara Raita & Roti/Chapati.