Recipe by Hannelu
This recipe comes from a National Foods Spice Box which is a spice mix for lentils
- 200 -250 g lentils (1 1/2cups)
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 4 green chilies (whole)
- curry leaf (few)
- 2 tablespoons national shahi daal mixed spice
For TARKA (Sizzle)
- 4 red chilies (whole)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed (whole)
- 4 -6 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 cup oil or 1⁄2 cup ghee
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak tamarind in 1 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Wash Daal and boil it with onion in 2 1/2 cups of water.
- When Daal is tender, add Shahi Daal Spice Mix and blend thoroughly with a wooden spoon or in a blender.
- Add tamarind juice, curry leaves and green chillies and cook.
- When green chillies are tender daal is cooked.
- For TARKA (Sizzle).
- Heat oil/ghee and fry all he tarka ingredients until reddish brown.
- Add to Daal.