Recipe by hipbonez
Vegan Indian gourmet. Vegetable stock can be used for added flavor.
Top Review by Shalabhanjika
I use this recipe frequently, very easy to make and I usually have everything on hand. Great dish, thanks! (ps I think it's supposed to be 1/2 inch gingerroot maybe? I always just use a good-sized chunk.)
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 diced onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, diced (or crushed)
- 1⁄2 gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 0.5 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat water in pot until boiling.
- Add lentils and boil for one minute.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer lentils until they resemble a thick paste.
- While lentils are simmering, heat oil in frying pan.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger. Fry until soft. Add curry, chili, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Add fried spice mixture into lentil paste, stir and cook an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Serve as is or over basmati rice.