Recipe by SpiceBunny
This is a favourite Korean appetizer. It's any time of day (breakfast or lunch), and often eaten with maccoli (homestyle rice wine) on rainy days with friends in Korean pubs.
Top Review by FeedNeed
Delicious. I used all regular flour (2c) instead of 1/2c rice flour. Make sure the water you add is ICE COLD (it makes the batter fry up more crisp). I only had green onions and frozen shrimp on hand, but was still very tasty. I dumped all the onions and shrimp into the batter and mixed together rather than placing some on top during frying. It still fried up perfectly this way. Also, I seasoned the batter with red pepper flakes instead of red pepper powder, added some onion powder, garlic salt and white pepper. The recipe for dipping sauce was fabulous as is. Thanks for the recipe!
- 100 g of small green onions
- 50 g scallions
- 1⁄3 cup clam
- 1⁄2 cup oyster
- 1⁄2 cup of hard-shelled mussels
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1 egg
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the small green onions and scallions and cut them into 4-inch lengths. Wash oysters, clams, and hard-shelled mussels in brine (5 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt) and drain on a wicker tray.
- Slice oysters, clams, and hard-shelled mussels.
- Beat "A" with a whisk into a light batter and mix half the chopped seafood in the batter. "A" can be bought pre-mixed in bags in Korean food stores (just ask them).
- Place the green onions and scallions parallel in an oiled pan at a low heat and ladle a scoop of the batter onto them.
- After the patty cooks slightly, sprinkle the sea food and spread a little bit of batter again on the top.
- Turn the patty and fry until each side becomes appetizingly yellowish brown. Serve the pan-fried green onion and sea food with vinegar soy sauce mixed with "B".
- You can make this recipe with chives instead of green onions, and omitting the seafood if you like. Try putting your favourite veggies in there.