Terri Juwan's Note:
Two soups in a bowl, make sure the soups are of a similar consistency so that they don't run together when ladled in the bowl. Had lunch at the Blue Mesa Grill in Addison, TX...some of the best Southwestern food I have eaten...I didn't get to try this, but it sounds delicious. This seems like it will take a long to time to get both soups done, so please let me know of any shortcuts you may come up with. Their recipes are posted at bluemesagrill.com...all times are estimated
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
CORN CHILE CHOWDER
- 12 ears corn, leave in husks
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut up
- 2 tablespoons canned jalapenos, finely minced (no juice)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- cornstarch, as needed
- cold water, as needed
BLACK BEAN SOUP
- 1/2 lb hickory smoked bacon
- 1/2 lb chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 cups uncooked black beans, rinsed and cleaned
- water, as needed
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup broth
- 2 teaspoons pureed chipotle chiles
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1CORN CHILE CHOWDER:.
- 2Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 3Place the corn (in the husk) on a cookie sheet and roast for 50 minutes.
- 4Cool, remove husks from corn and cut corn off the cobs.
- 5Take 70% of the corn and chicken stock and puree in blender.
- 6Pour the puree into a double-boiler and heat over a medium heat until just hot.
- 7Add the heavy cream and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
- 8Add the remaining whole corn, Velveeta cheese, jalapenos and salt.
- 9Continue cooking until cheese has completely melted, sirring often.
- 10Mix corn starch and cold water in a separate bowl and add to soup as needed to thicken.
- 11Cook on low heat about 8 minutes until it thickens.
- 12BLACK BEAN SOUP:.
- 13Smoke bacon and onions in an outside grill using mesquite wood chips fpr 25 minutes.
- 14Saute smoked bacon and onions with garlic in a large pot until they begin to caramelize.
- 15Add beans and enough water so that is is 1 1/2" above the level of the beans.
- 16Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer until beans are cooked through, you may have to add more water as it cooks.
- 17Add additional ingredients and simmer 30 more minutes.
- 18Puree 3/4 of the soup and add back with remaining bean soup.
- 19TO SERVE:.
- 20Simultaneously ladle both soups on opposite sides of the bowl.
- 21Drizzle with sour cream and a teaspoons of pico de gallo.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Painted Desert Soup
Serving Size: 1 (731 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1174.0
- Calories from Fat 579
- Total Fat 64.3 g
- Saturated Fat 33.1 g
- Cholesterol 184.0 mg
- Sodium 3790.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
- Sugars 34.1 g
- Protein 37.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hickory smoked bacon