This lost bread (french toast) recipe has an interesting twist; it's made with cornbread. Although it's written with direction for using a box of corn muffin mix, feel free to substitue your own homemade cornbread (see the note at the bottom of the recipe). From the McCormick Cookbook. (Time includes making the cornbread, but not the cooling time.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn kernels, drained or 1 cup cooked corn
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon savory
- 1TO PREPARE THE CORNBREAD:.
- 2Preheat oven to 400; Spray an 8x4x3" loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- 3In a bowl, add the corn muffin mix, 1 egg, 1/4 cup milk, savory (or thyme) and cayenne.
- 4Mix according to package directions, then gently fold in the corn.
- 5Pour into the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- 7PAIN PERDUE:.
- 8Slice the loaf of cornbread into 6 even slices, then cut each slice in half diagonally, so you have 12 triangles.
- 9In a bowl, beat the eggs.
- 10Add the milk, sugar, nutmeg and vanilla and mix well.
- 11Pour enough oil into a skillet (or electric skillet) to about 2"; heat to 350.
- 12Soak the triangles of cornbread in the egg mixture, carefully removing the pieces to the hot oil.
- 13Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown, turning once.
- 14Remove the pieces from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
- 15Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and serve with maple syrup.
- 16NOTES: You can substitute your own favorite homemade cornbread recipe for the corn muffin mix (you'll need a recipe that would normally fit an 8x8" pan).
- 17Just omit the corn muffin mix, the 1/4 cup milk and the 1 egg, prepare your own recipe, then add the corn and cayenne as directed, and proceed with the recipe from that point.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pain Perdu Roanoke (Lost Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.5
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 148.8 mg
- Sodium 467.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 10.0 g