Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
from All Recipes Pain Perdu is a special New Orleans-style French Toast. The most tender version is made with wide loaves of French or Italian bread. Its great flavor comes from the orange brandy in the batter."
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, milk, brandy and orange zest. Beat until thick and foamy.
- Pour mixture into a shallow pan.
- Soak bread slices in the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until they are thoroughly soaked through.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Lightly spray griddle with cooking spray.
- Cook the bread slices 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Serve hot.
Wow, was this french toast ever good, I can't believe the flavor, it was excellent. The toast was light, fluffy and perfectly cooked, simply wonderful. I garnished the french toast with a little icing sugar, that was all it needed. Served with Original Praline Bacon Recipe and sliced oranges for a wonderful breakfast, that I will enjoy again and again. Thanks so much for sharing a new favorite. Made for ZWT9 - Hot Pink Panthers on the Prowl.
I used a leftover of baguette to do this recipe. And for the orange liqueur I used Triple Sec. Great recipe. We liked it a lot. Thanks Lynn :) Made for ZWT9
This was excellent, Lavender Lynn. The addition of the orange liqueur and orange zest took this recipe to a new height. I used a dense Italian bread, so each slice would soak up the mixture nicely, and it was great. I wouldn't hesitate to serve this to company. Made for ZWT9 (Cajun/Creole).