Recipe by Phil Dunham
I like this bread because it is flat on six sides. This a French recipe, however, it was served extensively on Pullman railroad cars, hence the name Pullman Bread
Top Review by compupix
One of the problems with this recipe is the instructions don't match the ingredients list.
The ingredients list calls for 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 2.75 cups of white flour.
The instructions only reference 1.5 cups of the whole wheat flour.... leaving me wondering when or what am I to do with the remaining half a cup?
The instructions only directly reference 2 cups of the white flour. It says "adding white flour as necessary." Three-quarters of a cup is a lot of "as necessary."
I did make this using 1.5 cups of wheat flour and 2 cups of white flour and I don't know how much of "as necessary" but there was a lot more needed.
The bread turned out well. I'm sure it would turn out better with better instructions.
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons oil (I use olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons salt (sea salt if available)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons rounded yeast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups unbleached white flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk, yeast and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour.
- Beat and let proof 1 hour.
- De gas and add oil, salt, sugar, 2 cups white flour.
- Work in bowl until dough forms a ball.
- Knead adding white flour as necessary until dough is smooth and a bit moist.
- Let dough rise in oiled bowl 1-1 1/2 hours .
- De gas.
- Let rest 10 min.
- Shape dough to fit a Pain de Mie pan with lid, or use a large bread pan.
- Cover and let rise to 1/2 inch from top of pan, approx 30-45 min.
- Cover with lid, or cover a bread pan with waxed paper and put a weighted cookie sheet on the pan.
- Let stand 10 min.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pain de Mie lid must be on the pan when in the oven, but remove cookie sheet from other bread pan.
- Bake 25 min.
- Remove Pain de Mie lid and let bake 10 more min.
- Put pan on wire rack to cool for 10 min.
- Turn bread out.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- The loaf in the Pain de Mie pan should be flat on six sides.
- Perfect for sandwiches.