1/6 Photos of Pain De Mie - French Pullman Bread (Abm)
This recipe comes from King Arthur. I made minor changes to reflect more generic ingredients. According to them, the best bread for thin-slicing is called pain de mie, a butter- and milk-rich loaf baked in a special lidded 13" x 4" x 4" pan. The lid ensures that the baking bread won't expand too much, keeping it very close-grained-and thus totally non-crumbly, and easy to slice. You can use all all-purpose flour without the whole wheat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine all of the ingredients, and mix and knead them—by hand, mixer, or bread machine—to form a smooth, supple dough.
- 2Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and allow the dough to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 3Lightly grease a standard (13 x 4 x 4-inch) lidded pain de mie pan.
- 4Transfer the risen dough to a lightly greased work surface, shape it into a log, and fit it into the pan. Flatten the top as much as possible. Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise until it's about 1/2-inch below the lip of the pan, about 45 minutes.
- 5Carefully slip the cover onto the pan, and let it rest an additional 15 minutes while you preheat your oven to 350°F.
- 6Bake the bread for 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, carefully remove the lid, and return the bread to the oven to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until it's golden-brown on top and tests done; an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center will register 190°F
- 7Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely. For a soft, flavorful crust, brush the loaf with melted butter while warm. Yield: 1 loaf.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pain De Mie - French Pullman Bread (Abm)
Serving Size: 1 (1215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3277.6
- Calories from Fat 853
- Total Fat 94.8 g
- Saturated Fat 56.3 g
- Cholesterol 250.1 mg
- Sodium 5444.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 527.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 37.1 g
- Sugars 57.8 g
- Protein 88.4 g