Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A different twist on cauliflower cheese and one of my favorites. I have successfully cooked this in the micorwave which really cuts down on the cooking time.
- 2 heads cauliflower, separated into flowerets
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, cooked and quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups gruyere cheese, finely grated
- Put the cauliflowers into a large saucepan and add just enough water to cover.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 12-15 minutes , or until flowerets are very tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180C degrees (350F degrees).
- Put the cauliflowers, potatoes, butter, seasoning and cayenne into a bowl and mash together to form a puree.
- You can use a food blender for this.
- One by one, add the eggs, beating well between each addition.
- Stir in 1 cup of grated cheese and spoon the puree into a well greased oven proof mould or bowl of medium size.
- Cover with foil and put the mould into a roasting pan one-third full of boiling water.
- Put the pan into the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the pan from the oven and remove the mould from the pan.
- Remove the foil.
- Place a serving (heatproof) dish over the top of the mould and invert quickly.
- The mould should slide out easily.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and return the mould to the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and serve.