1/2 Photos of Pain Au Riz (Rice Bread)
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is a lovely, slightly sweet bread from Bernard Clayton's Complete Book of Breads. Posted for ZWT III, France. The texture the rice adds to this sets it apart from other breads.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease 2 8x4 inch loaf pans.
- 2in a medium saucepan, warm the milk, molasses, butter and salt.
- 3in a separate bowl, sprinkle the yeast over 2 cups flour and stir to blend.
- 4pour in the milk mixture and beat 100 strokes with a spoon, or for 2 minutes with a mixer flat beater.
- 5while beating, add the egg, rice and currants.
- 6Add the remaining flour, a little at a time, till the dough forms a solid mass and pulls away from teh sides of the bowl, about 10 minutes by hand or 8 minutes under the dough hook.
- 7the dough will be quite sticky as you begin but will become elastic and smooth as sprinkles of flour are added.
- 8Refrain from using too much flour.
- 9keep the dough elastic and not a hard ball.
- 10place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and put aside at room temperature to double in volume, about 1 hour (or about half that if using rapid rise yeast).
- 11remove the dough from teh bowl, cover with a cloth and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- 12cut the dough into 2 pieces. form rectangular loaves the length of the pans.
- 13place the dough in the pans and push the dough into the corners of the pans with your fingers and level.
- 14cover the loaves with wax or parchment paper and leave to rise at room temp till dough reaches 1 inch above the edge of the pans (about 45 minutes).
- 15preheat oven to 400 20 minutes before baking.
- 16place the loaves in the middle of the oven and bake for 35 minutes, or till loaves test done when tapped on the bottom with a finger.
- 17(if using convection oven, reduce heat 50 degrees).
- 18turn out from pan onto metal rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pain Au Riz (Rice Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (1465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1673.6
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 157.6 mg
- Sodium 2549.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 322.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 56.2 g
- Protein 42.7 g