Prep 24 hrs
Cook 5 mins
This is my friend Paige's recipe. She would bring them decorated in whatever holiday theme (she was big on decorating them in pastels). There were rarely any left. These are very soft and cake-like cookie and the Paige's Buttercream Frosting is a must. IMO
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium eggs
- 10 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Cream together sugar and butter.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Then add sour cream and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients a little at a time.
- Chill in refrigerator till firm or even overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Roll the dough 1/4-1/2-inch thickness and cut out into desired shape.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until lightly pale golden--not brown.
- Allow to cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
I requested this recipe and when I made them I found out that these are THE BEST cookies. They stay soft and full of flavor. I used almond extract instead of vanilla and absolutely loved the results. You can make these cookies as big or small as you like, and the Page's Buttercream Frosting is the perfect frosting for these cookies!!
My daughter and I made decorated Christmas cookies together for the first time this year and we choose this recipe due to its previous great reviews. We were thrilled with the results! The cookies were so easy to roll out and they tasted terrific! We did not change the cookie recipe at all, and we used Paige's Buttercream Frosting to decorate them. Thanks, taylortwo, we'll make these again and again!
These are great cookies! I loved the addition of sour cream in the cookies - it makes for a unique texture and taste in these sugar cookies. I found the dough very easy to work with and the taste was great. I frosted these with Paige's buttercream frosting recipe #43332.