Recipe by BeachGirl
This is a great potluck supper idea. While at college, my niece would visit me and we'd spend the day cooking to stockpile her dorm freezer for the month with 3-5 different recipes. This was her favorite! Instead of using a carrerole dish, we would evenly divide the ingredients among sealable, boilable bags (omitting the stuffing), label and freeze. On busy study nights, she would reheat them in the microwave.
Top Review by Annie H
I'm sorry, this simply didn't suit my family's taste. I like the recipe as a concept but I'd have to make some serious adjustments to proportion and spices. I used the two bags of frozen broccoli since this was a once a month cooking meal, and found there to be twice as much broccoli as I wanted. The cream sauce was good, but not enough of it. It's perfect if you only want the chicken to be creamy, but it left the broccoli totally plain. I would double the cream sauce, omit the Italian seasoning and seasoned salt and replace it with roasted muchrooms or green chilis to add more depth of flavor. I carmelized the onion and celery before adding the garlic and didn't use pimentos, though next time I'll try them. The stuffing turned out somewhere between crunchy and soggy. I would toss the stuffing with the cheese or put the cheese on top (for another flavor enhancer, toasty cheese is often a winner) for softer, or toast the stuffing in a skillet seperately for crunchy. I will try this again with the modifications listed above. I'm sorry to give a low review. :(
- 1 head fresh broccoli or 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen broccoli stems
- 7 -8 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3 cups of diced cooked chicken
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2-1 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise or 1⁄2-1 cup regular mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery (about 2 ribs)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimentos, drained (optional)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (I use my Heavenly All-Purposes Herb Blend)
- 4 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned stuffing mix (I use Pepperidge Farms herb)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray 9x12x2-inch casserole with non-stick cooking spray.
- If using fresh broccoli, cut into florets and steam for about 1 minute, drain, OR thaw frozen broccoli and drain well.
- Place broccoli in prepared dish in single layer.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Spray frying pan with cooking spray.
- Saute chicken about 3 minutes.
- Add celery, onion and garlic and cook an additional minute, but do not brown garlic.
- Place chicken mixture on top of broccoli.
- Mix soup, mayonnaise, pimentos (optional), seasoned salt, basil, Italian seasoning, and bouillon together and pour over chicken.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Sprinkle dry stuffing mix on top of cheese.
- Cover and bake about 25 minutes or until hot.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until the stuffing is lightly browned on top.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
- This can be frozen for once-a-month/bulk cooking.