Recipe by Chef Christine
I first tried this plate in Boston's North End. It is pure comfort food. This is my recipe. The authentic Paglia e Fieno uses half egg noodles and half egg noodles with spinach. I found it difficult to find the spinach egg noodles so I just went with the regular. An alternative that people usually do is half spinach fettucine and half regular fettucine. I prefer the egg noodles for their flavor but either one is okay. Buon Appetito!
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 1 dash olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white mushroom, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 lb prosciutto, shredded
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook egg noodles as directed on package. Drain.
- Cook prosciutto in toaster oven until slightly crispy and then shred into bits. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter in hot skillet. Stir in garlic, salt and pepper, about 30 seconds. Add in mushrooms and continue to stir for 4-5 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup half and half and stir occasionally for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Add pasta, prosciutto, 2 tablespoons butter, 3/4 cup cream and peas. Toss until well coated and continue to heat until peas are well-cooked.
- Mix in parmesan cheese and serve.