Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Paella can be made many different ways. You can put almost anything into the dish. You can have a meat paella or a seafood paella or combination of both. The most important item you can not do without is the saffron. It is expensive, but an absolute must-have ingredient.
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons saffron threads
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 lb fresh mussels, whole, scrubbed
- 1 lb fresh clam, scrubbed
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted in water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh beefsteak tomato, chopped
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a very large frying pan or a paella pan, first coat the pan with olive oil, then preheat the pan for 1 minute on medium high heat.
- Sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes until limp and translucent. Now add the rice; sauté until starting to get golden brown, stirring all the time so that the rice will not burn.
- Add the wine and the saffron and stir till the wine is absorbed.
- Now add the peppers and mix well. Add 2 cups of the chicken stock, 1/4 cup at a time stirring all the time till the liquid is absorbed into the rice. Repeat the process till all of the 2 cups is absorbed.
- Now add the cubed chicken; stir and then add the shrimp, clams, and mussels, carefully tucking them into the rice so that they will cook with the heat of the rice. Cover the pan and cook for for 8-10 minutes. Remove the cover, add the peas and tomatoes and cook covered for a final 2 minutes.
- NOTES: This dish can be served as a main dish and should be served with a small salad on the side.
- This is a great dish to serve on the holiday season--one of the classics from Spain. It will get raves from your guests.