Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Posting for ZWT6 Scandinavia Region. This is from www.gretchencooks.com
Make and share this Paella, Swedish Style recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons onions
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch saffron threads or 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 red pepper
- 1⁄4 green pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb shrimp, cleaned
- 1 lb chicken
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- black olives (to garnish)
- For the rice Pilaf:.
- Mince onion and in a medium saucepan with a tightly fitting lid, melt butter or heat oil. Add onion and rice. Stir and saute until rice is golden brown. Pour in water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- For the Paella:.
- Cut chicken into small bite-sized pieces, clean, rinse, and slice pepper into strips and slice olives.
- Combine chicken, peppers, spices, and the prepared rice pilaf in a baking dish and place in a 350°F oven for about 10 -20 minutes.
- When chicken is almost done, stir in shrimp and frozen peas.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes. Paella is done when shrimp is pink and peas are heated through.
Easy to follow directions, lovely subtle flavours and super yummy dinner. I had no chicken on hand so just used 500g frozen prawns. I put them in at the '10 minute' mark out of the 10-20 mins in oven stage and they came out beautifully. I also used pimiento peppers rather than your standard bell pepper and cut up enough of them to get a similar quantity. I could not find my frozen peas to use in this meal, so used frozen celery, placed in at the '20 minute' mark and left in for another 5 mins. Thank you Papa D, once again you have given me the makings of a superb dinner.
Made this as directed using the saffron and this was so easy and delicious! We enjoyed this so much that this will go into my Favorites of 2012 for taste and easiness. Made in memory of PapaD 2012.
Very easy, I liked the concept of baking it in the oven. I also used the turmeric, and I had only green pepper, so used that, and the peas. Lots of flavour, quickly prepared, a new favourite :) Thank you Papa D, this was made in your fond memory.