Recipe Junkie's Note:
This is a recipe from a Sunset magazine from January 2000.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 red bell peppers (1 and 1/2 lbs total)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham (1/2 in) or 1 cup Canadian bacon (4 oz)
- Spanish rice mix (you will need 2 packages, 5 to 6 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread (optional)
- frozen peas (1 cup of the frozen, petite kind)
- 1Rinse, stem, seed and chop bell peppers.
- 2In a 5-6 quart nonstick pan over high heat, stir 1 and 1/2 cups chopped red peppers with the oil and ham until peppers are limp, about five minutes.
- 3Add rice, water (as specified on package) and seasoning packets.
- 4Bring to a boil, cover reduce heat, and simmer until rice is tender to bite, 18 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5About 8 minutes before rice is done, in a 4 to 5 quart pan over high heat, bring broth and saffron to a boil.
- 6Stir in shrimp, cover and return to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer until shrimp is opaque in center of thickest part (cut to test) about 5 minutes.
- 8With a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to a small bowl.
- 9Return broth to a boil over high heat.
- 10Stir peas into rice mixture and cook until they're hot, about 2 minutes.
- 11Mound hot rice mixture equally in the center of 6 wide soup bowls, spoon shrimp around rice, sprinkle with remaining chopped red peppers, and ladle broth around rice.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paella Soup
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.7
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 21.1 mg
- Sodium 777.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 11.2 g