Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe from a Sunset magazine from January 2000.
Make and share this Paella Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 red bell peppers (1 and 1/2 lbs total)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham (1/2 in) or 1 cup Canadian bacon (4 oz)
- Spanish rice mix (you will need 2 packages, 5 to 6 ounces each)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread (optional)
- frozen peas (1 cup of the frozen, petite kind)
- Rinse, stem, seed and chop bell peppers.
- In a 5-6 quart nonstick pan over high heat, stir 1 and 1/2 cups chopped red peppers with the oil and ham until peppers are limp, about five minutes.
- Add rice, water (as specified on package) and seasoning packets.
- Bring to a boil, cover reduce heat, and simmer until rice is tender to bite, 18 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- About 8 minutes before rice is done, in a 4 to 5 quart pan over high heat, bring broth and saffron to a boil.
- Stir in shrimp, cover and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until shrimp is opaque in center of thickest part (cut to test) about 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to a small bowl.
- Return broth to a boil over high heat.
- Stir peas into rice mixture and cook until they're hot, about 2 minutes.
- Mound hot rice mixture equally in the center of 6 wide soup bowls, spoon shrimp around rice, sprinkle with remaining chopped red peppers, and ladle broth around rice.